Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Unusual action: boycott peace meeting

Last Saturday I took the unusual step to boycott the Western Fellowship of Reconciliation (FOR) Washington Spring Assembly. The Spring Assembly is held every spring to review and coordinate the FOR's peace making efforts among the chapters. I facilitated the planning process which led to the initiation of the Spring Assembly several years ago. I respect FOR and all the folks who attend these activities. The agenda for Saturday's meeting was good, but lacking. Also, I believe that anyone and everyone trying to help people and society live peacefully and justly today should be respected and honored. It's a growing uphill struggle due to the issues of the day and the continuing shifting of the United State's budget from people needs, indeed the very US infrastructure, to military weaponry and war making. But, the agenda ignored the dominating events affecting the whole works.

I advocated that an opening analysis of the global situation be presented at the Spring Assembly so that workshop deliberations would be able to reflect their concerns in this context. This includes the reality that the earth is in rapid climate change. I take the cue from experts who say we cannot continue "business as usual." This includes the apparently "out of control" food crisis due to the increase costs. 100 million people have been recently brought to starvation risk, and more added daily. Food riots in over a dozen countires. This includes peak oil realities, actions the US is taking which contribute to the food crisis, and social/political crisis. This includes the US military budget of over one trillion for 2008 (when you add in all the hidden costs in the budget) supporting the "full spectrum" military options including nuclear weapons, and more. And, there is a growing sense that the US will attack Iran between May and August.

A year ago I began this blog with a walk from Faslane Scotland to London. The message was the same. I am only updating it. I could not not take this stand last Saturday. In fact, I have been evolving my analysis and message for the last several years and acting upon it. I will not stop the death and destruction. Nor will FOR. I could not stay alive by ignoring these realities and doing what I can, which is still not all that I can, puny as the efforts are.

The reason I share this is to keep walking the talk, to encourage you to join in your own way.

2 comments:

Larry Kerschner said...

Bernie- The real problems become more clear daily. The solutions unfortunately do not. I haven't seen any new ideas in the U.S. that give me hope for the future of America. I see some exciting possibilities in community building in Latin and South America.
I have volunteered to be on the planning committee for the WWFOR Fall Retreat. I hope you will join us with your thoughts and wisdom. I don't know if there is an answer but I know we won't find it unless we are all working together.

Bernie Meyer said...

I agree with the trust of your statements. I operate with the basic principle that no one and nothing physical is "pure." We all have potential to do evil and to do good. Most of us have some of each, but not the extremes.